What you should know about yourself...
Making the decision to perform a transplant is something very important and in which the following questions should be formulated :
Do I have any contraindication ?
General contraindications : some diseases are incompatible with the risks inherent in a local anaesthetic and a good growth of the grafts. In «online consultation», you will be asked some questions: you should not hide any disease or after-effects of operations or past or current treatments.
Below you have a long list:
1. respiratory complaints (asthmas or respiratory )
2. heart or vascular diseases (after-effects of a stroke, hypertension or hypotension, cardiac rhythm disorders, etc. ...)
3. Clotting disorders that can not be corrected
4. Digestive mild (stomach, intestines, liver, pancreas, etc. ..)
5. Diseases in bones or joints: that don’t allow prolonged exposures to any kind of operation
6. Neurological (nerve or sciatica ,...)or nervous diseases (inability to move) that does not allow exposure to long operations
7. Gynecological disorders, kidney or urinary tract: that don’t allow an exposure to long operations
8. Endocrine disorders (stable diabetes, thyroid, so on ...)
9. Some cancers
10. AIDS: requires numerous sterilization precautions of instruments (waste material of the operation that had been in contact with the patient). It should be noted imperatively. You must specify your state of stabilization.
11. Other contagious diseases
12. Some allergies (asmas, skin, digestive, etc..), In particular those related to the products used in an operation
13. Some skin diseases (particularly those related to the scalp that could prevent the growth of the grafts)
14. some disability
15. Large consumption of toxicants: coffee, alcohol, tobacco or others.
1. An insufficient donor area: either because the area is little dense (less than half of normal density), or because the surface of this area is insufficient (the results obtained will always be insufficient). It is considered as limit a crown height limit crown on the back of the head of 10 cm, less than 7 or 8 cm transplantation is not reasonable.
2. Some minor scars in the area to transplant (burns).
3. Patients with numerous pre-operations and in particular those who were operated with 'Strips” method. From 3 operations of this last type it is very difficult to find good quality grafts since the scalp is already very relaxed and the area is little dense.
Psychologically: All major psychiatric and psychological disorders are contraindicated for this type of operation. In particular those that produce physical imbalances (dizziness), major depression, health problems, problems of affection, tiredness, etc. ...
Can I consider a good candidate? A good candidate must not be too old and should not be sick. He/She must be in the best physical condition, without fatigue. That is why we advise you not to make any long trips by plane or car and you have to stop your work in advance. We recommend you 24 hours of rest before operation.
The best candidate is one who is between 25 and 65 years old, in good physical condition, brown hair, thick (good diameter), good density and good extraction grafts area. You should be motivated and well informed of all matters relating to hair transplants. You shouldn’t have psychological disorders and you should have total confidence in the surgeon who operates you.
The results will be less good in the following cases :
• blond, grey or white hair that provides smaller density appearance,
• Very fine hair,
• A reserve area of weaker density than normal will provide a low density in the area of transplantation,
The doctor will decide the operation in agreement with the patient and that despite the poor conditions. He will use all means at his disposal to compensate that problem but without thinking he can do miracles. It is important that you understand this situation.
• People without motivation, with anxiety, depressed or that don’t distrust of doctor, they will be always disappointed. The doctor may decide to reject the operation unilaterally.
The doctor should get a real and honest information by the candidate for a transplant. It is an essential element in achieving a good transplant…
Are my motivations really valid ? I am less than 25 years… Am I exaggerating my fears when in fact I only have a 1 or 2 cm receding hairline?
Is it a whim? Would not it be more prudent to wait? ... I always will be able to do it later if I get Hamilton’s stage III.
And if the result is not the expected one? Am I ready to accept an outcome whose density is weaker than half of my hair today? (that is the result for a session but lower in Strip method or in the case of FUE method)
Am I ready to make a second operation if it was necessary?
Would you accept a difference between my hair and implanted hair?
Do you need to make an immediate operation ? Couldn’t I wait before decide on a operation that will leave me some crusts that can be seen over a period of 3 to 4 weeks and wait 12 to 18 months to get a full growth?
Will I be worth wasting the natural shape of my hair to the detriment of one that will not be at 100%?
Shouldn’t I enjoy my youth without worrying about it and just be on the alert for the evolution of my baldness? (I always have time to act.)
We don’t agree with an operation in people under 15 years old. We always encourage wait for a real beginning of baldness. However, if the baldness is real and you have very big motivation, we can give a favourable opinion for operation.
Am I determined to assume the risks and disadvantages?
2mm grafts transplant does not involve greater risks. This is only a small superficial dermatological operation: there is no suture (except in exceptional cases of small bleeding), and it is not used scalpel or of general anesthesia practices.
However, it may present as a result of this type of operation:
• an edema in your eyes from 3rd to 8th day ;
• It may occur, exceptionally, small points of secondary infection:
If they present in the extracted graft area: there must be an immediate cleanup of the area and its treatment with an antibiotic ointment (FUCIDINE 2%).
If it presents in the implanted graft: infection will mature and eliminate on its own most of the time.
• It should be noted that it can come to an attenuation temporarily or increased sensitivity of the scalp that will last few weeks, at most a few months (incomparable with the loss for life produced by Strips method)
Immediately after the implant arises small crusts that will fall after 2 to 3 weeks and they will cause partial loss of small grafts (sometimes also from next). This situation presents no gravity since they will grow again.
Growth: It will take place from 3 months.
We will get half of the final density in the 6th month and the result will be final after year. You must be patient.
Will the results satisfy my expectations ?
1. If you are under 25 years old and want to rebuild the receding hairline area: You will always be DISSAPOINTED ! If it is not a case of repair after an earlier operation, we always reject this kind of operation. Even more if it is young people who want to recover hair lost in a natural way. We only perform those cases whose front baldness presents a real loss of density and not a retreat from the front line of hair.
2. . If you want to a densification exclusively and repairing front head or crown that are really lacking of hair. Then this is the best method if you don’t reach the status of stabilization yet.
3. If you are completely bald or about to be: You should know that a single operation will not be enough. You will need 2 or 3, sometimes more operations throughout your life to fill conveniently lacked hair areas. We must also remember that this will depend on the quality of your hair and the donor area. You will get excellent results without necessarily be identical to your natural hair (it will always suffer a bit density). However if your hair is fine, straight or clear and the donor area is insufficiently dense then the result of these transplants will leave more or less transparent and covered hair but you will have hair even if it has a fragile look.
Do I have the economic means ?
As you can see, a single transplant is not enough for a baldness which is progressing (even slowly) in the majority of cases. You will need 2, 3 or more sessions over a period of 5 to 25 years depending on your baldness. You can make an estimate of costs before making a final decision and consult with the doctor the type of strategy to continue to reduce the number of operations. For example: densifying the front and the line, you can let the hair growing to hide a crown or a density generally weak. Some people accept scattering grafts but that provides less showy results…
At the time of the first operation consultation, do not hesitate to make all questions to the doctor responsible for the operation and especially not hide anything about your medical history. Tell him your fears, apprehensions, desires …