1. « Strip » scalp extraction:
The strip method is the most used one. This consists in extracting a strip scalp cut with scalpel. This strip is unstuck from the cranial bone and is cut in small cubes ( that contain from 1 to 2 hairs, sometimes we can obtain from 3 to 4) and implant again in small incisions made with a medical tool to cut...
It is an operation:
1. Painful and sometimes with pains for life,
2. that requires deep stitches,
3. with abundant bleeding associated with numerous risks: infections and significant complications (it could result in necrosis),
4. that leaves scars increasingly wide as the number of interventions grows,
5. Where 30 to 40% of the grafts do not grow... and where from 30 to 40% of the strip is useless and therefore wasted...,
6. that induces to a low density of hair and force to repeat the operation from 2 to 3 times to implant again 1,000 grafts, getting only 1,200 hairs that grow in each session…
1. Surgeon only need 30mm to cut and unstick a strip of scalp, and then stretch strongly the two sides of the opening created by the scalp extraction.
2. Then doctor can entrust his/her assistants the cut of the "strip" in follicular units 1, 2 and 3 hairs that they will implant again while the surgeon cuts out another strip in another patient…
This practice allows the realization of a high number of daily operations but it doesn't have anything to do with the delicate and meticulous method of « 2mm grafts».
PD: There are diverse blades for the cut: as much for the cutting as for the implant again. Such as multiple blades or in lengthened "w" ("4 in 1" method), but the problem of strips extraction continues being the same one and the results don't provide a very natural look, thus it moves hair of the nape of a thick diameter to the front part. The rate of growth continues being the same.
2 - F.U.E. (extraction of 0,75 mm 1,4 mm diameter follicular units) :
This method is less used and often we are advised against by the same doctors who recommend, in their Web, strip technique...
« FUE » involves the extraction about 1mm diameter cylindrical grafts (in most cases, 1 single hair), extracted strongly and with the help of a manual punch* and implanted them again in a small incision made with a thick needle on the shaved area.
*Punch : small circular cutting blade that allows to extract cylinders of the pencil mine size (about 1mm diameter) that will be used in FUE method:
1 mm diameter « manual punch » for F.U.E.
1. is not painful,
2. does not cause abundant bleeding,
3. does not need deep stitches,
4. does not cause infections or complications,
5. leaves no scars,
6. allows a large number of operation without damaging the donor area
1. It is an operation where 40 to 60% of grafts don’t grow, since the more reduced is the diameter less possibility of success...
2. The result provides a very weak density, forcing the practice from 3 to 4 operations (sometimes more) to obtain the aspect of a body hair with little density.
3. It will take you to pay 1,000 grafts to obtain a maximum from 400 to 600 hairs growing.
It is, therefore, a scarce result for the quantity of money spent.
Note: At the moment we have different tools that attempt the extraction of grafts and their intake to leave it ready to their later placement in the incision carried out previously. However, they don't save time and they damage the graft considerably. In this way the possibility of growth is limited.